best auth method?

Jason Radford jradford at iconimaging.net
Fri Dec 20 12:36:07 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:45:28 -0800 (PST)
Jim Carter <jimc at math.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Jason Radford wrote:
> > does anything stop someone from sniffing the network to get a mac
> > address to emulate though?  Or is this something I shouldnt be
> > concerned with?
>
> How sophisticated are your thief-type users?

Not enough to worry about, but I just thought I would ask too see
if it was a concern later on....Your reply sounds reasonable enough
to not need to worry about it.... This is basic internet access, not
business data....

> iptables:  for each authenticated session, insert a rule keyed on the IP
> address that calls a subchain starting with a rule that checks the MAC
> address.  If it matches, accept the packet; if not, log the error and
> toss it.

I'm thinking along those lines for other reasons too, for bandwidth
management per MAC address, I havnt done the research on this item
at all, I'm hoping netfilter/iptables is able to address this issue
though...

-Jason