Expressions of interest

Kim Hawtin kim at freesolutions.net
Mon Dec 16 09:53:38 EST 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 04:49:39PM +1100, evilbunny wrote:
>   Idea at this stage is to create a simple XML type client for any/all
>   OS's that can pull data from GPS units...
>
>   Idea is you walk up to a intersection, grab GPS location (to as best
>   as possible the centre of the intersection without getting killed ;)
>   note the street names, (St, rd, etc etc) how many lanes, and other
>   bits that will make it useful. At this stage we're after any
>   suggestions on what data would be useful to capture etc...
>
>   Also trying to find out if people would be willing to go out and map
>   their suburbs or even surrounding suburbs, the data we plan to
>   release royalty free to anyone that wants it, some guys in the US
>   already have the mapping infrastructure to plot these vector points
>   into images... Because it will be royalty free there won't be any
>   issues with sharing it, because it won't be owned by any company
>   etc...

Now that I'm in a job, after my next pay I'll look at geting a GPS
unit and start on my area early next year =)

>   There are a lot of groups that could benefit from this apart from
>   wireless so there is a potential for a lot of collaboration between
>   different parts of the community to make this happen... and share in
>   the benefits of having it...

There is a project kicking off in London called AirShadow (?) or
similar. The idea is that you can map a given ESSID for your community
group. Also the idea that you can map the "network" area and signal
strength over time ...

cheers,

Kim