Lockups with Orinoco and 2.4.19

Patrick Cole z at amused.net
Fri Aug 16 13:15:09 EST 2002

Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 08:01:48PM +0200, Thomas Bueschgens wrote:

> following the diverse suggestions on the list I did the following:
>
> 1. Return to kernel-driver (2.4.19 kernel).
>
> After about 40 Minutes again those lockups... system froze
> completely. This enver happened during the use of a "normal" NIC
>
> 2. Downgrade the firmware of the Orinoco to 6.06 (thanks,
>    Patrick). Still using the kernel-drivers.
>
> Hmm, First of all I thought this is it... but after about 1 1/2 hours
> the system again froze without reason.
>
> Funny thing: Large downloads do not seem to matter... I downloaded
> about 20MBs the first time, about 25MB the second time, just to put
> some stress on the Orinoco.
>
> The system worked flawlessly... but while fiddling around with ntpdate
> (you know, those VIA-chipsets really have a Clock-problem with Linux)
> the system froze up again.
>
> I am completely guessing what can be done now.

In your previous post you said the wavelan2_cs driver was also locking
up.  That driver has always worked 100% for me, the only lockups I've
ever gotten were from orinoco 0.12 with the borked locking scheme.

As below, I'd say your problem lies with hardware, IRQ conflicts, I/O
port probe conflicts, or something other than the software.

--
Patrick Cole <Patrick.Cole at anu.edu.au>
Programmer, the John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU