avaya wireless client manager + linux iwconfig key

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 15 04:46:00 EST 2002

On 11 Aug 2002, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> I'm trying to setup two WLAN clients talking over encrypted
> channel in ad-hoc mode. One client is avaya card under windows
> and second is linux also with avaya card using orinoco_cs driver.
>
> Avaya Wireless Client Manager wants 5 chars long encryption
> key. Unfortunately setting the same key as iwconfig iface
> key s:samekey doesn't work ;/
>
> Any ideas how key should look like on both clients to get
> them working?

Under Windows XP as well as Linux, I set the WEP key in hex, since I
generated my key randomly and it includes shell-relevant punctuation
(though no control characters). On Windows it seems to want it without
punctuation, e.g. fedcba9876. The WinXP dialog has a dropdown list where
you tell it whether you've given it hex or a string, though it seems to
know by itself anyway. On WinME the dialog is different, though I saw it
only once on a co-worker's laptop. On Linux I say iwconfig eth1 key
fedc-ba98-76.  I think the hyphens are optional.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)