Lockups with Orinoco and 2.4.19

Thomas Bueschgens sledge at seconet.de
Thu Aug 15 04:01:48 EST 2002

Ok, the story goes on...

following the diverse suggestions on the list I did the following:

1. Return to kernel-driver (2.4.19 kernel).

After about 40 Minutes again those lockups... system froze
completely. This enver happened during the use of a "normal" NIC

2. Downgrade the firmware of the Orinoco to 6.06 (thanks,
   Patrick). Still using the kernel-drivers.

Hmm, First of all I thought this is it... but after about 1 1/2 hours
the system again froze without reason.

Funny thing: Large downloads do not seem to matter... I downloaded
about 20MBs the first time, about 25MB the second time, just to put
some stress on the Orinoco.

The system worked flawlessly... but while fiddling around with ntpdate
(you know, those VIA-chipsets really have a Clock-problem with Linux)
the system froze up again.

I am completely guessing what can be done now.

Here is what I try to do next, so some feedback would be nice.

1. I still have a an old WaveLan / Lucent PC-Card. I bought it about
   two years ago it it run flawlessly under 2.2.X since then.

Would this help in hunting down the bugs? PErhaps some
iwconfig-setting I am missing... but on the other hand the network is
up and running for some time...

2. I still have a Cisco Aironet which I save for some special
   purpose... wanted to use it with airsnort on my laptop to get a
   feeling for it... Would it be of any help to squeeze that bug (if
   it is one?) trying this card?

Again I feel like a menace, but since nothing shows up in the logfiles
I don't have a starting point to config around a bit. And my
programming skills end somewhere in bash-land :-)

        Tom

--
 Thomas Büschgens                       sledge at seconet
 If you've seen a shopping center, you've seen the mall.