Lockups with Orinoco and 2.4.19

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Aug 14 18:41:43 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:21:34AM +0200, Thomas Bueschgens wrote:

> Hi David, thanks for the fast reply.
>
>    On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:00:03 +1000, David Gibson
>    <david at gibson.dropbear.id.au> said:
>
> David> Don't use version 0.12x of the orinoco driver.  They're all
> David> broken due to a misguided design idea on my part.
>
> So I take it that you recommend staying with the kernel-delivered
> version of the orinoco-driver?

For now, yes.  As soon as I get enough time, I'll try to release 0.13
which will revert the bad locking changes, but include the good
changes which are in 0.12.

> David> The other problems may be due to firmware 8.10.  They seem to
> David> have made some gratuitous changes in this version, that we
> David> haven't fully worked out how to deal with yet.
>
> Do you think "downgrading" the firmware (if possible at all) would be
> a sensible solution / approach to this problem? Right now it is kind
> of sub-optimal to have no connectivity at all under linux.

I don't know if this problem is related to the firmware, but it might
be.  If so downgrading should help.  I have reports of people
sucessfully downgrading, but I haven't tried it myself:  all care, no
responsibility.

> Or would it be more prudent to "sit'n'wait" until some newer version
> of the driver / kernel will solve this problem?

Up to you.