WPC11 issues with wvlan vs orinico/hermes

Jason Radford jradford at iconimaging.net
Tue Aug 13 06:42:18 EST 2002

Hi all,

I recently purchased a cheap compaq laptop to play with wireless, and
purchased a Linksys WPC11 wireless card.  I have tested 2 distros,
mandrake and slackware, but I want to use slackware.

Mandrake (9.0 beta 2) uses pcmcia 3.1.29, which loads the wvlan_cs
module, and seems to work perfectly giving me aprox 300-400k transfers.

Slackware 8.1 uses 3.1.33 or .34, and loads orinoco/hermes drivers,
and does initialize the card, but I only seem to get 10-12k transfers.

I have read the wireless howto which states that wvlan is being
phased out in favor of orinoco, so I guess I should find out what's
going on to be current (and so I can use slackware).

So my question is what to do troubleshooting wise to find
out what the problem is?  I have used iwconfig to set speed to 11mbs
and also tried auto which yields the same results.

Any help would be appreciated,

-Jason