(no subject)

Ivan Zakharyaschev imz at altlinux.org
Fri Aug 9 07:33:43 EST 2002

	Hello!

I'm going set up a wireless network (802.11b).
Now, I'm choosing an WLAN adaptor card for this purpose.
(Perhaps in future, I'll have more things to discuss here, when the
network will be ready to work.) Probably you could help me.

The network will be just between 2 computers running Linux, in ad-hoc
mode.  Both computers are Toshiba laptops: Satellite 2800 and Portege
4010. The last one already has a miniPCI WLAN adapter (Agere based). So
AFAIK orinoco driver (or the other 2 drivers) will treat it.

I'm choosing a PC Card Type II WLAN adapter for the second computer: my
idea is to get something similar to the Portege's Agere card, so that
they can talk to each other seamlessly. I've come across several
possibilities at zdnet.co.uk Check Prices section, and as I searched the
list archive for each of them, there were either some problem reports or
no information at all.

Would you recommend me any of this cards? Is someone using one of this
happily now? Did you have to patch anything for yourself, or the support
is already in publicly available drivers? I will appreciate your help a
lot, thanks in forward for your answers.

Compaq WL110

Linksys WPC11 (I've seen some bad opnions on it in other places than
this list...)

D-Link DWL-650 (again I've seen some bad reports in other places)

Intel WPC2011BWW

And for the next group I'm not sure whether they are Agere based and
whether they will be OK talking to the other card:

U.S.Robotics USR012410

Belkin F5D6020U - I've seen no Linux-related info for this one at all,
but some general reports were very good for it. Perhaps it's something
UK specific.

Actiontec WiFi 11Mbps PCMCIA Card - is it Agere Orinoco like? I've read
somewhere that it is Prism2-based

dabsvalue 802.11b - that's probably a repackaged Actiontec and has not a
good antenna.

Sorry for such along list. By the way: do the PC Card adaptors come with
an antenna, or should i buy it additionaly? (For USB devices, there's no
such question: they are with antenna on th pictures.)

Regards,

--
Ivan Zakharyaschev
ALT Linux Team member, Sisyphus developer