D-Link DWL-650H

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Aug 2 10:35:37 EST 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:11:00PM +1000, Johnny Shih wrote:
> Johnny Shih wrote:
>
> >I tried "testing" driver and it works after many times of restarting
> >the card using cardctl......it looked like it receives erroneous
> >packets occasionally.
> >David, I am wondering if the driver does changes to the card
> >physically? The reason I am asking because I've encountered this
> >strange problem after installing the driver. The computer (a laptop)
> >uses this DWL-650H card is actually a client which shares internet
> >connection off my host desktop computer (using DWL-500). Before the
> >driver, my laptop client is able to use internet and achieves high
> >speed (500K/s) under Windows XP whereas the host is running under Red
> >Hat 7.3 with dhcpd (connecting to Telstra BigPond Cable)...etc....now
> >with the same setup, wireless connection would just drop out whenever
> >the client is trying to access internet at high speed (e.g. download
> >files from local Telstra site) and after that, it's never able to
> >reconnect again and would need to do /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart
> >on my host computer.....any ideas?
> >
> >Jan, thanks for the file. Just one little thing, I am too stupid to
> >figure out how to actually install the patch, would you mind
> >instructing me?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Johnny
>
> Ok David, I think I made a mistake. It looks like to incompatibility of
> WEP between your orinoco driver and wlan-ng's driver. After turning if
> off, it works fine...was using 128bit encryption, 26 hexdecimal digits.

The WEP is handled in firmware, not in the driver, so there shouldn't
be an incompatibility there.  If there is, it's more likely that
something wrong in the driver is making WEP not work at all.  Are you
sure you're setting a compatible key at each end - IIRC linux-wlan-ng
uses a different method for setting the key, you're not setting a hex
key at one end and a string key at the other?