D-Link DWL-650H

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Aug 1 23:24:20 EST 2002

Hi, Johnny!

> > I tried "testing" driver and it works after many times of restarting
> > the card using cardctl......it looked like it receives erroneous
> > packets occasionally.

D-Link DWL-650H sometimes loses interrupts informing the driver that the
buffer has been allocated.  In 4 in 5 cases it loses the interrupt for the
third packet being sent.  In the remaining 1 in 5 cases it works fine.
The orinoco driver is very sensitive to this problem - it won't send more
data until the interrupt arrives.

If the transmission queue stalls, the network level initiates a reset.
This reset is a bit heavy-handed in the testing version.  You can try the
driver from this distribution, it doesn't prevent resets, but the card
recovers from missing interrupts:

http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/symbol/spectrum24-0.3.5.tar.gz

> > Jan, thanks for the file. Just one little thing, I am too stupid to
> > figure out how to actually install the patch, would you mind
> > instructing me?

Run "man patch".  No need to ask it in this list.

> Ok David, I think I made a mistake. It looks like to incompatibility of
> WEP between your orinoco driver and wlan-ng's driver. After turning if
> off, it works fine...was using 128bit encryption, 26 hexdecimal digits.

WEP must be compatible.  However, using WEP can trigger bugs in the
firmware and contribute to timeouts.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin