improving range, signal strength for WMP11

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Sat Apr 27 10:01:41 EST 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Jakob wrote:
> so I installed my Linksys WMP11 Mini PCI card as an access point on a
> OpenBSD 3.1 box. It has screwed-on, directible, external antenna which is
> covered with protective rubber, it seems.

> It sits under my desk in the office which is at one end of my house. When
> I am on the first floor, on the other end, signal strength and link
> quality get amazingly weak. Admittedly, there are a couple of concrete
> walls in between, but still.

I'll bet a higher location is better, about head level, because file
cabinets, refrigerators, people's feet, etc. tend to block the signal at
floor level.  A directional antenna, not too directional, directing the
signal at your house and not the neighbor's, could double your signal
strength.

But I worry what's in the concrete walls.  I believe cement contains
significant H2O, and not just OH's, and the ISM band means "industrial,
scientific, and microwave ovens" :-)  Water is especially hard on signals
in the ISM band.  Also, in Los Angeles (earthquake country) the concrete
would contain plenty of steel bars, which would not help the signal
strength.

I suppose a central location for the AP is not feasible...

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)