TrueMobile 1150 and orinoco_cs

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 24 16:14:59 EST 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, John Zhou wrote:
> I have problem getting the card to work. Here are a few details.
>
> Linux kernel: 2.4.9-31

There has been quite a lot of work done on the driver since whatever is in
that kernel (presumably 0.07 or before).  You can download a more recent
version from http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/

> Yet, the card is shown (in /var/log/messages) as:
> cardmgr[592]: socket 1: Intersil PRISM2 11 Mbps  Wireless Adapter
> cardmgr[592]: executing: './network start eth1'
> /etc/hotplug/net.agent: register event not handled
> dhcpcd[15259]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response

It looks like the card came up enough for DHCP to broadcast from it, but it
had not associated with its partner.  Items to look for:

Is the ESSID actually set, and correct, on both cards?
Is the partner another computer (for which you need mode Ad-Hoc) or an
	access point (mode Managed)?
Assuming Ad-Hoc, is the channel set explicitly for both cards?
Is it the *same* Ad-Hoc mode for both?  There was a message about this
	earlier today.  The Dell card uses IBSS Ad-Hoc mode by default;
	some other cards default to Ad-Hoc Demo mode.
Is the WEP key (recommended) actually set, and correct, on both cards?

> and hermes.conf in /etc/pcmcia
> I have added to /etc/pcmcia/config:

It's recommended to either hack on hermes.conf or make your private conf
file, so you don't have to do it over after upgrading the PCMCIA subsystem.
All the *.conf files are included after /etc/pcmcia/config is read.

> device "orinoco_cs"
>   class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"
>
> and modified the PRISM2 and Lucent Wavelan/IEEE to bind to orinoco_cs:
>
> card card "Intersil PRISM2 11 Mbps Wireless Adapter"
>   bind "wvlan_cs"
>
> card "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter"
>   version "Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE" (line 912)
>   manfid 0x0156, 0x0002 (line 914)
>   bind "orinoco_cs"
>
> yet there is error in /var/log/messages:

I think the complaint is about the "version" line.  Everyone seems to use
just the manfid.

Hope this helps.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)