Wireless across building

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Thu Apr 18 20:12:54 EST 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, John Morrison wrote:

> 	I need to set up a wireless link across my building (point to
> point only) so I can get access to the internet as cheaply as I can
> (With reliability) and as I know hardly anything about wireless "yet"
> I thought I'd come to the experts.
>
> 	What I've worked out so far is I think I need a D-link
> DWL-1000AP and a D-link DWL-120.
> 	The DWL-1000AP will be plugged into a hub in another office
> which is the Internet end.
> 	The DWL-120 gets plugged into my computer (about 20-25 meters
> away though walls etc).
>
> Have I got it right?

The configuration you mention here would work fine. It's recommended that
you enable WEP security on both units to ensure no one can easily sniff
your network.

The D-Link equipment while reasonable, is not the best when it comes range
and link quality.

> Is this the way to do it or is there a cheaper way?
>
> A BIG THANKS for any help you can give!!!

It is possible to setup a point to point link between two computers to
allow the second to access the wired network that the other is connected
to, but the computer which has both a wired and wireless connection need
an operating system that support routing or forwarding of packets.

If the machine is being used as an Internet gateway already (such as
connection sharing of a modem link), the software would easily allow
sharing of the Internet connection, but may not allow access from the
wireless network to the wired network. It all depends on the OS and it's
configuration.

If you're looking for cheap cards, some members of the Sydney Wireless
group in Sydney have Enterasys/Cabletron cards which support 40 bit WEP
for sale for $50 each. Check out http://www.sydneywireless.com/ for info.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby   : Doof.org                     -> jalovick at doof.org
Director: Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd    -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au