Orinoco testing + ARM (Byte-alignment problems, it seems)

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Apr 18 16:04:45 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 01:39:36PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hi, David!
>
> > > Various timeouts after slow lengthy runs:  With the .11 (testing) code,
> > > I see the -110 BAP errors using ping (not ping -f) after about 2k
> > > packets.
> >
> > Yes, we seem to get these on quite a lot of cards - although yours
> > seems to be particularly susceptible to this bug.  I'm still working
> > on fixing this.
>
> I can reproduce this problem repliably both on i386 and ARM with two
> different cards, both using Intersil firmware.  There are no problems
> caused by ping on Symbol Spectrum cards on either architecture.  The trick
> is to use large packets.
>
> ping -s 10000 -c 4 -f some_host
>
> "-f" (flood ping is essential).  The number of errors on ARM is usually
> the number of packets minus 1.  On i386 the errors are printed
> continuously until I stop ping.

Oh, hurrah.  This does seem to reliably reproduce the problem
(quickly) on my machine as well.  I have seen these errors on my
DWL-650 before, but when I went to investigate, I could never
reproduce the problems.

Oddly I seem to get more errors pining the AP this way than if I ping
a machine on the wired network on the other side of the AP.

> "Error -110 setting multicast list" appeared before ping, when dhcpcd was
> running.  Sometimes it doesn't appear, sometimes it appears twice.

That would probably be when dhcp buts the interface into promiscuous
mode.