Orinoco testing + ARM (Byte-alignment problems, it seems)

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Apr 18 03:39:36 EST 2002

Hi, David!

> > Various timeouts after slow lengthy runs:  With the .11 (testing) code,
> > I see the -110 BAP errors using ping (not ping -f) after about 2k
> > packets.
>
> Yes, we seem to get these on quite a lot of cards - although yours
> seems to be particularly susceptible to this bug.  I'm still working
> on fixing this.

I can reproduce this problem repliably both on i386 and ARM with two
different cards, both using Intersil firmware.  There are no problems
caused by ping on Symbol Spectrum cards on either architecture.  The trick
is to use large packets.

ping -s 10000 -c 4 -f some_host

"-f" (flood ping is essential).  The number of errors on ARM is usually
the number of packets minus 1.  On i386 the errors are printed
continuously until I stop ping.

This is on ARM with a CompactFlash Type II card:

eth2: Station identity 001f:0003:0000:0008
eth2: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 0.08
eth2: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth2: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth2: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth2: MAC address 00:60:B3:69:01:74
eth2: Station name "Prism  I"
eth2: ready
eth2: index 0x01: Vcc 3.3, irq 10, io 0xf7000000-0xf700003f
eth2: Error -110 writing Tx desciptor to BAP
eth2: Error -110 writing packet header to BAP
eth2: Error -110 writing Tx desciptor to BAP
eth2: Error -110 writing packet header to BAP

And this is on Intel architecture, with a ZoomAir card:

eth1: Station identity 001f:0003:0000:0008
eth1: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 0.08
eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth1: MAC address 00:40:36:01:7B:F1
eth1: Station name "Prism  I"
eth1: ready
eth1: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
eth1: Error -110 setting multicast list.
eth1: Error -110 writing Tx desciptor to BAP
eth1: Error -110 writing packet header to BAP
eth1: Error -110 writing packet header to BAP

"Error -110 setting multicast list" appeared before ping, when dhcpcd was
running.  Sometimes it doesn't appear, sometimes it appears twice.

I'll try to play with locks and timeouts in the meantime.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin