SMC 2632 (PLX) Ad-hoc mode fails

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Apr 17 14:45:43 EST 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 09:19:56PM -0700, Jim Carter wrote:
> It's my impression that in Ad-Hoc mode, the cards will not find each other
> unless the channel is set (to the same value) on both.  However, just
> recently I discovered that the Windoze-XP driver for the Dell 1150 (Agere
> Orinoco) can find an Ad-Hoc network without being told the channel.

In case you're wondering why this is, it has something to do with Lucent
cards. If the is one Lucent card in IBSS-Adhoc mode, other Lucent cards will
join with it even if they're in managed mode.

For example, someone I know with a powerbook with MacOS X with an airport
card doesn't seem to be able to switch it out of managed mode. However, put
another card in IBSS-Adhoc mode nearby and it'll join it as if it was a
base station.

I'm not sure if this is specified by standard, by it's certainly very
convenient. I may even work with other types of cards.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/