Orinoco testing + ARM (Byte-alignment problems, it seems)

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Apr 17 11:13:50 EST 2002

David Gibson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 08:12:26PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
>>Hi, Ben!
>>

>>>Have you done any lengthy tests...like 24hours+?  I had a .9 driver
>>>working good enough to last for about 24 hours before screwing up,
>>>I may have to revert back to that one.
>>>
>>No.  I tried 10000 packets, which took about 1 minute.  It's another sign
>>that we are dealing with a race condition.
>>

> Yes, a problem that only shows up after 24 hours is unlikey to be an
> ARM-specific alignment problem.

Agreed.  I didn't mean to imply that was an alignment problem, only
that there are several problems, not necessarily related.

For my particular NIC (XI-825 CF), the problems seem to be:

Byte alignment:  Probably fixed, at least in the 'normal' paths.

Various timeouts after slow lengthy runs:  With the .11 (testing) code,
I see the -110 BAP errors using ping (not ping -f) after about 2k
packets.

Timeouts after short fast runs:  ping -f kills it in about 5 seconds.

If there is an attempt to reset the card, it fails.  The only way
to recover, that I have found, is to pull out the NIC and wait
a few seconds (maybe 20) to allow the modules to detect removal and
clean everything up.  This lengthy time may be due to dhcp trying to
release it's lease I believe.

Is there any reason not to try to reset the card after 3 consecutive -110
errors?  If the soft-reset fails, can we programatically drop power to it
through the CF system so we can guarantee a reset?

Various problems upon insertion.  I have not been keeping logs of these,
but it often takes 1-3 (re)inserts before the card is brought up successfully.

The good news is that this driver works flawlessly on my x86 laptop and
PC with Orinoco cards, so I'm not ungrateful! :)

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>