Orinoco testing + ARM (Byte-alignment problems, it seems)

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Apr 17 10:42:42 EST 2002

Pavel Roskin wrote:

>>What CF cards have you had good luck with on ARM?
>>

> This one and Symbol Spectrum24.  But you will need a separate driver for
> Spectrum24 - it needs firmware download every time it's inserted.  The
> driver is (temporarily) on my homepage:
>
> http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/symbol/

I'll give this card a few more tries...these things are too expensive
to get as many as would be useful for testing!

>>It is my opinion that we should make all structs passed through ioctls
>>be 4-byte aligned with no implicit padding (make all padding explicit).
>>

> I'm afraid it's too late.  PCMCIA utilities and the kernel can be compiled
> separately and should always work together.

So, it breaks today.  If we fix things in the 2.5 kernel, we can clean
up kernel + user-space in the next year or so.  We should be able to
write tools that are backwards compatible.

Sure, it sucks to change the interface, but it is just as bad to have
to hack around the byte-packing issues on every new platform/compiler.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>