Symbol PCI Card and RedHat 7.2

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Apr 12 11:23:57 EST 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 04:58:15PM -0400, Brian Johnson wrote:
> I recently bought a couple rebranded Symbol Spectrum24 cards in PCI adapters
> (rebranded as Nortel e-mobility cards)
>
> My RedHat 7.2 Linux system isn't telling me that it's a pcmcia adapter -
> it's telling me it's a Network controller

Chances are it's a PLX adaptor.  It more-or-less transparently bridges
PCMCIA onto PCI.  However we only added the PCI ID for the emobility
card in a recent testing version, see
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/testing.  Assuming these
cards do seem to work (at least partially), then it should be in
0.11a.

> With a couple of other people who got these cards (the pc cards work
> sepearately in laptops but I need it in a desktop) set up a wiki page to
> keep notes on at:
> http://uw-linux.uwaterloo.ca/ww-wiki/Nortel_20E_2dmobility_20cards?action=sh
> ow
>
> The web site at
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html sounds
> like the orinoco_cs driver might work as a stright ethernet controller for
> this card (is this a what they call a PLX adapter?)

Well strictly the orinoco_plx driver rather than orinoco_cs.