802.11b networking

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Sat Sep 29 18:53:52 EST 2001

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 02:30:07PM +1000, Michael Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me if the various "base stations" are required for 802.11b
> networking or can you do it with just the wireless cards?
>
> Thanks in advance,

works fine with just the cards, I use two cards at home, one in a machine
attached to my home network with a pci<->pcmcia converter, and one in my
laptop.

The cards currently wont behave as base stations (well someone has written a
driver to make the prismII based cards work as an AP however I have not tried
it so have no idea if it works)

All the 802.11b cards can probably behave as AP's however the manufacturers
dont want to tell you how to make them do that unless you pay them lots of
money.

Using it in plain IBSS mode between all the cards works fine though so it is
of little matter for a home network or something.

I never worked out how to make MacOS speak to another cards direct in IBSS,
but hey I dont use macos so didnt pursue it. I think windows can be made to
speak to another card, however I also dont use windows.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh