help with D-Link DWL-650: a physical manifestation

Alex Deucher agd5f at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 02:11:08 EST 2001

Well, I finally got wireless working on my libretto.
I'm not sure exactly what did it.  yenta_socket,
didn't work.  When I tried that on the libretto I got
the no card control found error.  I changed it back to
i82365, plugged in the card, and it worked.  Not sure
why.  I tried for days before and no luck. oh well.
(the only strange thing is that DHCP seems to send
some trash characters to my resolv.conf file as well
as the nameserver, could be a fluke though.)  Also as
a note on my Portege, I changed the card controller
back to PCIC compatible and now the card is detected
fine at boot up consistantly (unlike in Cardbus mode
where you had to eject and insert the card to get it
to come up).
Weird.

Thanks to all who helped,

Alex

-----------------------------------
On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 07:10:45AM -0700, Alex Deucher
wrote:
> Thanks to the help of this list, I eventually got
the
> card working on my portege laptop.  I initially just
> had the ignore_cis_vcc option in the wrong place.
> Once I got that straightened out, the card worked
> fine.  That was with the pcmcia bridge set to PCIC
> mode.  I changed it to Cardbus mode in the BIOS and
> now it works without the "ignore..." option,
however,
> I sometimes have to eject and insert the card to
have
> it be detected by the pcmcia subsystem. Most times
it
> works fine.  I suspect it is probably also running
at
> 3.3 volts now that the controller is in cardbus
mode.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html

> I tried excluding the irg that the card was
initially
> using, but that didn't seem to help.  Any
suggestions?

> BTW, both laptops have 2.4.9 using kernel pcmcia
> drivers.

Since you're using the kernel pcmcia, you might want
to check whether
you're using the i82365 or the yenta_socket driver
(see
/etc/default/pcmcia or /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, the PCIC
variable).
I've found that the yenta_socket driver seems to work
rather better,