help with D-Link DWL-650: a physical manifestation

Alex Deucher agd5f at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 00:10:45 EST 2001

Thanks to the help of this list, I eventually got the
card working on my portege laptop.  I initially just
had the ignore_cis_vcc option in the wrong place.
Once I got that straightened out, the card worked
fine.  That was with the pcmcia bridge set to PCIC
mode.  I changed it to Cardbus mode in the BIOS and
now it works without the "ignore..." option, however,
I sometimes have to eject and insert the card to have
it be detected by the pcmcia subsystem. Most times it
works fine.  I suspect it is probably also running at
3.3 volts now that the controller is in cardbus mode.

The only problem now is my Toshiba libretto 50ct
laptop.  It has no PCI bus, so no cardbus support,
just 5 volt pcmcia.  The card seems to work with the
"ignore..." option, but as soon as I insert the card I
get the "Tx timeout" error referenced on this page:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html

I tried excluding the irg that the card was initially
using, but that didn't seem to help.  Any suggestions?

BTW, both laptops have 2.4.9 using kernel pcmcia
drivers.

Thanks,

Alex

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 09:50:06PM -0700, Alex Deucher
wrote:
> I just bought a linksys wireless router, and a
D-link
> DWL-650 wireless ethernet card.  I have now spent
the
> better part of 2 days trying to get this POS
working.
> How do you do it?   I have tried just about every
> Howto out there to get this card to work, but alas
it
> refuses.  I'm using redhat 7.1 and kernel 2.4.9
using
> the kernel pcmcia drivers.  Initially I tried to use
> the stock redhat kernel using wvlan_cs, but that did
> not work. Next I tried to get it to work using the
> orinoco_cs drivers.  I built and installed 2.4.9
with
> all the necessary options; I installed the wireless
> utilities like iwconfig; I copied the hermes.conf
file
> over from the orinoco website and rebooted.  the
card
> was detected, but got the:
>
> orinoco_cs: GetNextTuple: No more items

Is this a laptop or PC with PCI/ISA <-> PCMCIA bridge?
 Are you using
the pcmcia drivers from Linus' kernel tree or those
from David Hinds
PCMCIA package?