NCR systems access point

Stuart stuart at coscom.net
Tue Sep 18 00:43:39 EST 2001

Hi Folks,

I am hoping someone may be able to offer me some advice or may have had
some experience with this product I have been wrestling with all day. I
have been given the task of installing two (very old and ugly looking)
wireless access points.

The access points themselves have an ethernet interface (with coax, rj45
and AUI? inputs) and a wavelan interface. I am told they are old 2mb/s
access points / bridges. They are cream colored boxes, rectangular with
a bit jutting out for the power lead. They have 4 dip switches and a
reset button. On top there are 3 leds. They seem to be for power, wlan
and lan.

They don't reveal much about themselves, all that is written on them is
the following:

- NCR Systems Engineering  B.V. UTERCHT.
- Class No: 3105
- Model Number: 0111

I presume this is useless information about voltages etc?

- VAC. 100-125
- A.   0.4
- Hz.  50 - 60
- LR   76667

- VAC. 220-240
- A.   0.15
- Hz.  50 - 60

It also reveals further useless information like the fact that they were
made in taiwan, mac addresses of the "wavelan" / "wired lan" interfaces
and the product serial numbers.

Taking the case off, I found a few chips (surprise, surprise!). The main
chips are labeled XILINX, CHIPS, HARRIS/INTEL and another one with a
very intel looking "i" on it. However, taking the second one apart, the
chip labled XILINX was labeled AT&T.

I have done quite a bit of searching on them today (including this
list's archives) and have found very little. Information on NCR cards is
all I have found. Ive been to wavelan.com, att.com, ncr.com and it
hasn't helped me much. Searches on the class and model numbers don't
seem to find anything and without a name for the product, I really don't
know what I'm looking for.

My main problem (I guess? besides possible authentication problems) is
that I have no idea what the IP addresses are. I plugged one into a
linux box with a crossover cable and ran tcpdump on the interface. It
showed no traffic whatsoever. It didn't attempt to use a DHCP server, or
send any broadcast traffic that I am aware of. The arp table obviously
shows nothing.

Does anyone know where I can find any documentation on these? What the
dip switches do? If there is a way I can make it reveal it's ip address?
If they are actually useful as nothing more than boat anchors? I'm
pretty stumped on these. Any help would be great!

Stuart