mini linux distro as a wireless router?

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Sat Sep 15 13:25:05 EST 2001

Andy MacDonald wrote:

> Hi Guys.
> I'm trying to set up a 486 in the roof to cut down on signal loss. If
> anyone has any experience with a floppy linux distro set up to route
> aironet to ethernet, please give me some pointers. I'm totally clueless on
> how to go about it.
>
> Regards
> Andrew MacDonald
> adm at primus.com.au
> Canberra Australia
> Andy MacDonald's Flying Wing Page
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~flyingwing

I use etherboot to boot my router from a more accessible server. No moving
parts in my router at all! Does require a bootrom on the router's ethernet
card, though.

The Linux Router Project (at www.linuxrouter.org) is a good starting point
for a single floppy based router. I believe that it can be easily be
configured
to support Aironet cards, but I haven't done it myself.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.