inside a DLink DWL-120

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 11 19:00:15 EST 2001

Bob Edwards wrote:

> The D-Link DWL-120 is a USB - IEEE 802.11b interface. Some have suggested
> that it might have some popular PCMCIA card inside, but this is not the
> case.
There is someone (Compaq?) with a USB to PCMCIA bridge, based on the Cypress
(nee Anchorchips) microcontroller; and a PCMCIA card. I have some ideas (based
on the USB Snoopy tool and maybe an 8051 disassembler) that might help if
anyone is working on this.

> I appears to be based on a Harris/Intersil reference design with
> a USB interface added. The main chips in it (other than the DSSS radio)
> are:
>  U20 - Atmel AT76C503A (56602) - some sort of microcontroller
Actually a USB to 802.11 MAC.

>  U303 - tm(TE/CH) T14L1024N (RAM?)
>  U5 - (Intersil) HFA3861BIN
>  U17 - ATMEL050 25040N (USB interface?)

> The PCB says GEMTEK WL-281 (stylized M in GEMTEK)
Gemtek seems to be a D-Link production house.

> Just thought some people might be interested in what's inside.
I didn't pull apart the shielded section, but the basic design seems to be the
Atmel MAC, and then Intersil IF/RF chips.

It seems like there are two implementations. The D-Link design (vendor ID
0x03eb, product ID0x7603) requires firmware download, and the Linksys design
(vendor 0x066b, product 0x2211) seems to use some form of internal memory.

I am about to hack on the driver some more.