Encryption Question

Bernard Michael Tyers bernard.tyers at dcu.ie
Mon Sep 10 22:45:29 EST 2001

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the 2 main (it seems) encryption standards
on 802.

My question is regarding cards using different encryption schemes
talking to each other.

I am interested in buying a Orinnoco Silver card. Reading up on the
specs of the card, I see that it uses 64 bit WEP. I also came across the
spec for the Gold card and it uses 128 bit RC4 encryption.

Now to my question (it may be frivolous <sp?>). Can these two cards
communicate to each other?

Is it neseccasry for the access point to be able to handle both WEP
(which I would guess most of them can already) and 128 bit RC4?
Are you resrticted to using only Orinnoco hardware for this reason?

thanks in advance,
Bernard

--
Bernard Tyers * Research Assistant * National Centre for Sensor Research
* P:353-1-700-5273 * E: bernard.tyers at dcu.ie * L:N117

[21:52] <Emulaska> emacs. is that macontosh
[21:52] <Quez> emacs = linux
[21:52] <zeris> emacs...whats wrong with vi! heathen