help with D-Link DWL-650: a physical manifestation of pure evil

Alex Deucher agd5f at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 14:50:06 EST 2001

I just bought a linksys wireless router, and a D-link
DWL-650 wireless ethernet card.  I have now spent the
better part of 2 days trying to get this POS working.
How do you do it?   I have tried just about every
Howto out there to get this card to work, but alas it
refuses.  I'm using redhat 7.1 and kernel 2.4.9 using
the kernel pcmcia drivers.  Initially I tried to use
the stock redhat kernel using wvlan_cs, but that did
not work. Next I tried to get it to work using the
orinoco_cs drivers.  I built and installed 2.4.9 with
all the necessary options; I installed the wireless
utilities like iwconfig; I copied the hermes.conf file
over from the orinoco website and rebooted.  the card
was detected, but got the:

orinoco_cs: GetNextTuple: No more items

so I tried to add the ignore_cis_vcc option the the
orinoco_cs driver.  I tried adding it to config.opts,
and it seemed to ignore it there, so next I added it
to hermes.conf and once again, no luck. So I added it
as an option in my modules.conf, still no luck.

I can modprobe -r the orinoco_cs driver and and then
reload it with the ignore_cis_vcc option, but it still
doesn't work.  iwconfig always shows "no wireless
extentions"

Next I played around with wireless.opts, trying
various things suggested by different webpages. still
no luck.

Next I tried the prism2_cs drivers from the linux-wlan
group, but they always seem to have unresolved symbols
when I try and load the modules.

Now I don't know what else to try.  I don't have win98
either of my laptops so I can't test the card.

I anyone knows anything that would help me, please
speak up I'm about ready to throw this card out the
window.

BTW, my hardware is a toshiba portege 3020ct and a
libretto 50ct.  I first tried it in the libretto and
had no luck, then I read somewhere that this card
required a cardbus slot (even though it doesn't have
the little gold bar), so I tried the portege which has
a cardbus capable conroller.

Any help would be much apprecited...

Alex