Netgear MA301 and Orinoco Silver Querey

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Sep 3 10:04:59 EST 2001

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 10:09:40AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday,  1 September 2001 at 18:02:14 +1000, Richard Howlett wrote:
> > G'day.
> >
> > Have just tried to get a Netgear MA301 PCI -> PCMCIA adater to work with
> > an Orinoco Silver card.
> >
> > Anyone got and ideas of any incompatabilities between "brand" names.
>
> None that I know of between 802.11b DSSS cards, which covers
> just about everything currently being used.

There is one, that I know of.  A number of the older card firmwares
(in particular the Lucent firmware before version 6.06) don't support
the IEEE standard IBSS ("ad-hoc") mode.  Instead they support their
own proprietary ad-hoc mode which does not interoperate with IBSS
mode.  The older Intersil firmwares also use this "demo ad-hoc" mode
instead of IBSS (although I forget exactly which versions).