Bridging?

Ron Perry ronk at sunitafe.edu.au
Thu Oct 18 12:07:25 EST 2001

Ben Laurie wrote:

>Mikko Lammi wrote:
>
>>At 08:04 17.10.2001 , you wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>We are looking at purchasing a number of cards to link a number of
>>>semi-remote buildings at our campus, using point to point links.
>>>
>>>We have trialed (borrowed) Compaq WL210 pci cards and have them running,
>>>point to point happily. But have yet to try bridging with these cards.
>>>
>>>The question is:
>>>Are there any wireless cards that support bridging under linux?
>>>Any documention/ponters/advice on this would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Ron Perry
>>>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Almost none of the wlan cards supports bridging since it's kind of ethernet
>>technology and
>>wireless cards operate in whole different physical layer.
>>

>Eh? That's not why they don't support briding under Linux - its because
>the vendors want to protect revenue from selling APs. But I'm told that
>Prism2 based cards now do support bridging.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ben.
>
>--
>http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html
>
>"There is no limit to what a man can do or how far he can go if he
>doesn't mind who gets the credit." - Robert Woodruff

Hi Ben (and others),

The Compaq WL210 are Prism2 based. :-)

Any more info from your source would be appreciated.

As there are 2 bridging a packages, brcfg and brctl, is there any
recommendations which to use?

TIA
Ron

This footnote confirms this email has been checked for the presence of
viruses by Inflex www.pldaniels.com/inflex & McAfee VirusScan www.mcafee.com
Installed at Sunraysia Institute of TAFE www.sunitafe.edu.au Further
information, please contact helpdesk at sunitafe.edu.au