Location, location

David Leonard david.leonard at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 17 13:22:57 EST 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Reynolds, Alfred typed thusly:

> I can supply a reasonably complete set of digital terrain data for the
> eastern sea board in DTED level 1 format (which is fine for radio line of
> sight work). I also have the c code to load the data and produce height
> profiles :) I may even be able to provide code to spit out path losses
> between two points (I need to double check copyright on that).
>
> What I don't have lots of is time :)
> The data is about 500mb worth, if someone is interested I will look into
> making up a web frontend to the data and algorithms (right now I have a java
> based app).

David Arnold just alerted me to this thread...  Mmmm, DTED level 1...

The AUSLIG DEM i got was 9 second res and has shown to be problematic in two
ways:
	- it's almost useless for people nearby each other (ie within 1km)
	  since its so coarse
	- its data from a *surface model*.. ie buildings, trees, etc.
	  structures are removed and its just the ground level... so
	  it gives misleading plots in some cases.

DTED 1 (www.fas.org/irp/program/core/dted.htm) is 3 second arc (~100m res)
and (although I'm not sure) it is also a surface model that ignores structures?
Can you confirm this?

Alfred, it would be really nice if you could put up a HTTP interface that
allowed people to retreive raw segments of your data... of course perhaps
limited to say squares of size 1 minute of arc? :)

I would certainly extend the brismesh mapping tools to make use of that! :)

David Leonard                           David.Leonard at itee.uq.edu.au
Dept of Inf. Tech. and Elec. Engg   _   Ph:+61 404 844 850
The University of Queensland       |+|  http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~leonard/
QLD 4072  AUSTRALIA               ~` '~ B73CD65FBEF4C089B79A8EBADF1A932F13EA0FC8

Make sure that you have enough free memory in your temp directory.
	- Sun StarOffice README