Orinoco driver lockups

David Gibson hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Nov 28 19:54:13 EST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 09:34:35PM -0500, Robert Hardy wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 11:47:01PM -0500, Robert Hardy wrote:
> > > Here is a hand transcribed kernel oops with max ORINOCO_DEBUG:
> > >   Code: 8b 43 08 8b 80 90 00 00 00 85 c0 74 11 8b 40 34 85 c0 74 0a
> > >    <1>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 80008024
> > >     printing eip:
> > >   	c0131dd9
> > [snip]
> >
> > Would it be possible to run that through ksymoops to give actual names to
> > those addresses. That segfault as given has no useful information.
>
> Well it does tell us the last thing printed was orinoco_reset().
>
> > Is it the kernel spitting that out or klogd?
>
> The ooops was transcribed by hand off the console after lockup.
>
> > Recent klogds (iirc) store useful debugging information in
> > /var/log/ksymoops which may be useful for decyphering the oops.
>
> I don't think we did a good job of running it through ksymoops but it will
> have to do for now. Of the last 10 lockups, 2-3 have generated oops and the
> other 7 have provided no debugging information at all.
>
> I'll try compiling up a uni-processor kernel in a few days and see if the
> problems persist. I'm running a heavily updated RH6.2. My klogd doesn't seem
> to do any logging in /var/log/ksymoops.

I'm afraid this ksymoops dump (snipped) looks bogus.  You'll have to
make sure you have the right System.map, and the right ksyms - because
you're hanging you would probably have to load the modules, take a
copy of /proc/ksyms, then induce the oops and decipher the oops
against the saved ksyms file.