mini-PCI support for orinoco_cs

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 15:15:39 EST 2001

Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:27:03PM -0800, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> >
> > I got linux_wlan working, but not with WEP, which I need at work. It
> > also seemed finicky and refused to work at many points.
>
>         Interesting.
>
> > I still get the "Channel out of range" error:
> >
> > Nov  9 22:53:48 samosa kernel: eth1: Channel out of range (0)!
>
>         Seen that. Probably firmware issue.
>
> > But, I can go online with the mini-pci card now (woohoo!).
>
>         I've never managed that. Lucky you ;-)

I have a mini-pci orinoco card in my Dell Latitude C600. It works fine
when associating to Apple Airport Base stations, but as soon as I roam
past our Aironet AP-4800, it loses connection. All of our other Aironet
and Orinoco equipped machines can roam between the Airport and Aironet
access points with not even a hint of a slowdown.

Anyone care to suggest why the mini-pci card would have trouble
accessing an Aironet access point? I am using David Gibson's orinoco
driver version 0.08a. It reports:

"eth0: Looks like a Lucent/Agere firmware version 6.16"

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.