Skynet Global compatibility?

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 14 17:52:02 EST 2001

Brad Hards wrote:

> I picked up a brochure for a company offering wireless access in some areas
> (http://www.skynetglobal.com), and it looked kind of interesting (range of
> plans, probably 22c/min).
>
> Has anyone played with this with Linux (specifically, with a 2.4 kernel, and
> the orinoco driver for a Prism II type card)?
>
> Also, does anyone know how the authentication works?
I was in the Qantas Club in Sydney yesterday, and gave it a quick try.

Set the essid to "skynetglobal" - eventually it "took" after some card
mangling.

ping -b 255.255.255.255 produced a few (6?) responses, all in the
10.something.something.X range.

ping www.google.com produced a typical response. times looked ok, but I didn't
record them.

finally bringing up netscape dropped me into a https:// cgi script, looking
for a password and username, which I ignored.  Couldn't get to google or my
pop-server.

ncftp couldn't get to mirror.aarnet.edu.au

got called for my flight.

Conclusion: some kind of proxying setup requiring authentication. icmp and dns
work. the pop-server might not be available from outside the telstra adsl
service - I've never tried it from externally before.

Brad