mini-PCI support for orinoco_cs

Manoj Kasichainula manoj at io.com
Sat Nov 10 18:27:03 EST 2001

[Please continue to cc: me. Thanks]
On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:21:30PM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 10:14:32PM -0700, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
[on the linux_wlan prism2_pci driver]
> > Yeah, but it doesn't let me set any of the things I actually want to
> > set. :) Still, I want to investigate it further.
>
> 	Please do ;-)

I got linux_wlan working, but not with WEP, which I need at work. It
also seemed finicky and refused to work at many points.

So, I tried orinoco_pci again, and am having more luck with it this
time, for whatever reason. The only things that have changed since
then are (1) a somewhat later ac kernel, (2) I turned off
CONFIG_PLX_HERMES, and (3) I attempted to upgrade the firmware of the
mini-PCI card using a program from the IBM support site, but the
upgrade seemed to fail.

I still get the "Channel out of range" error:

Nov  9 22:53:48 samosa kernel: eth1: Channel out of range (0)!

but I'm under the impression that you can't set the channel in Managed
mode anyway.

And, I am still seeing BAP errors:

Nov  9 22:53:48 samosa kernel: eth1: Error -110 writing packet header to BAP

But, I can go online with the mini-pci card now (woohoo!). Here are
some other problems I have, though:

- the iwconfig output is kind of wacky:

eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"spoon"  Nickname:"Prism  I"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412GHz  Access Point: 00:02:2D:0D:1E:AF
          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:103/92  Signal level:-41 dBm  Noise level:-144 dBm

The Link Quality is the strange part. The 103 (or thereabouts) is
being relayed properly from /proc/net/wireless, which generates output
like this:

Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed
 face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon
  eth1: 0000  104.  216.  112.       0      0      0      0      0        0

Also, when I set a WEP key, connectivity dies. I pasted the WEP key
from the wireless.opts entry I normally use with my pcmcia card, so it
should be accurate, and the key does show up in iwconfig output. When
I shut the key off, the network comes back up.

One more oddity is that when I try to use dhcpcd to get an address, I
get in syslog:

Nov  9 22:55:55 samosa dhcpcd[508]: infinite IP address lease time. Exiting

This doesn't happen when I use my orinoco wireless PCMCIA card.

Any ideas for these problems? Are there any other messages or output
you'd like to see? Thanks for your help and this driver; it's not
perfect yet, but it seems to be the best one for me right now.