Access point as repeater

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 9 14:42:06 EST 2001

HI Dan,

I have almost the same situation here (have had it running for 5 years
now). In my case, I own the other end of the link as well, so my link
is implemented in ad-hoc mode, then to wired LAN at home, then to an
Apple Airport access point. The advantage of not using a repeater is
greater bandwidth - a repeater can only transmit or receive at a time
and so everything needs to be sent twice (once to the repeater, once
from it).

If you can stretch the budget, I would recommend setting up a node (old
box with wireless card in it) with a good antennae in the part of your
house nearest the other network, then use your D-Link access point (on
a different frequency!!) within your house. This way, any wired hosts
also get in on the act as well.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.

Dan Borntrager wrote:

Hi,
I have an interesting dilemna.  There is a wireless network about 300 yards
from where I live and I can start to pick up the signal about 200 yards from
my house.  There are relatively few obstructions, just trees, and my apartment
is on a high floor.  I would like to pick up that signal but also would like
to remain wireless in my apartment, so essentially I need a repeater or do you
think I could grab the signal with a small antenna attached to my orinoco
pcmcia card?

Could someone comment on which would be more feasible, that or trying to set
up a wireless repeater.  Also, I have a Dlink dw-1000 access point.

I can send the dlink back still and grab another access point if you know any
that will work as repeaters.  The dlink will only do so from a wired
connection from what I understand.  I need something to pick up a wireless
connection and retransmit.

I've thought of several things. Obviously, I will need an antenna but does
anyone have any suggestions on how to bring in a wireless connection and
retransmit it or just boost it so I can get it from my laptop while moving
around my building?

I do have an old box around and thought maybe I could hook that thing up to
the antenna and then just hit that with the laptop card..

Any suggestions?  I'm pretty new at this stuff so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan