Prism2, DWL-650 and ISA adaptor problems

mallum breakfast at 10.am
Tue Nov 6 21:26:55 EST 2001

on Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:18:25AM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> 	This is wrong. My DWL 650 is a 16 bit card and work perfectly
> in a ISA-Pcmcia slot (except for the usual Intersil firmware bugs).
> 	The problem is that the card has a buggy CIS and doesn't
> advertise voltage properly. With orinoco_cs, you use the
> "ignore_cis_vcc" trick as indicated in the release notes.

Cool, I tried this ( eventually giving up on the prism2 drivers ) and
it worked kind of , though very eratically. The card seemed to 'die'
after a random amount of time and /var/log/messages is filled with
this randomness;

<snip>

Nov  5 08:18:52 localhost kernel: hermes @ 0x180: Card removed while
issuing com
mand.
Nov  5 08:18:53 localhost last message repeated 10 times
Nov  5 08:18:54 localhost kernel: o BAP
Nov  5 08:18:54 localhost kernel: Error -16 writing packet header to
BAP
Nov  5 08:18:54 localhost kernel: hermes @ 0x180: Card removed while
waiting for
 command completion.
Nov  5 08:18:54 localhost kernel: er to BAP<3>eth1: Error -16 writing
packet hea
der to BAP

 ... lots more of this ...

<snip>

Also not Im _not_ removing the card and then truncated line is how it
appears in my log file. Also I get the same errors weather in the ISA
adaptor or my laptop. I was also getting TX Errors ( though they seem
not to have appeared in the log ). The 'client' machines were using
orinoco cards.

Is this the Dlink's buggy firmware ? Should I just give up with this
evil card ? Has anybody actually got a DWL-650 working reliably ?

 -- Matthew Allum