Orinoco silver, ISA pcmcia adaptor and Redhat 7.1, problems.

Anthony Wesley awesley at acquerra.com.au
Mon Jul 30 10:01:39 EST 2001

"Dent, Mike" wrote:

> Hi, I've had a quick look back through the mailing list archives but
> could not see anything which is similar to my problem.
>
> I suspect I am at a very early stage in getting these Orinoco cards
> working in a linux box.
> I've played with the early version 1 and version 2 ISA wavelan cards
> under linux with good success in the past.
>
> I've borrowed a pair of the Orinoco Silver cards and the ISA bridges that come
> with them.
> I'd like to get them working in Linux, Redhat 7.1.
>
> I think I have come unstuck at the first hurdle! The ISA<>PCMCIA card
> does not seem to be recognised by the kernel isapnp at boot time?
> I tried another ISA network card in just to check and that is recognised
> fine by isapnp.
>
> So I took the card out to test it in a Windows 98 PC, just to make sure it
> was ok and it is.
>
> So, what am I doing wrong at this early stage? Has anybody written a howto
> for these Orinoco cards in ISA adaptors under Linux?
>
> Many thanks,

Mike, I had these cards working fine in a 2.2.18 kernel, went to a 2.4.7
kernel and they were not recognised!

The reason is simple, but annoying - the kernel-based drivers don't scan
port 0x3e2 when trying to detect the card, so they will not see the ISA
adapter if you have left it o its default settings (like most of us do
I suspect).

The answer is to change some lines in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia to this:

PCIC=i82365
PCIC_OPTS=i365_base=0x3e2

try it and let me know. CONFIG_ISA must also be declared when the
drivers
were compiled.

There have been MANY changes to the way wavelan/
orinoco cards are handled by the 2.4 series kernels. The kernel-based
drivers
have changed quite a bit in each release.

I think that the kernel you have now will work, but you should think
about upgrading to the 2.4.7 kernel + the latest orinoco patches from
David Gibson.

At this point in time, the only place to get a 2.4.7 kernel with
Davids latest patches included is

	http://www.acquerra.com.au/personal/bird/orinoco

This is not a public repository, and may go away when David has released
his latest stuff, maybe in 2.4.8 ??

(David - do you read this list?)

cheers, Anthony