continuation to prev email (newbie)

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Thu Dec 20 08:00:34 EST 2001

On Wednesdayen den 19 December 2001 21.07, Rakesh Arora wrote:
> Hi,
>       As per the log file snippet in the prev email,
> modprobe wasn't able to load the module hermes/orinoco
> as there was no file other than dummy.o in
> /lib/modules/2.4.12/pcmcia/. So I copied the files
> hermes.o, orinoco.o and orinoco_cs.o from 2.4.2. Now
> it gives the incompatible version error. Will
> switching Versioning off in the config file help me?
> Else how do I get the compatible .o files? I am
> attaching the snippet illustrating this error.

Have you verified that
 /lib/modules/2.4.12/kernel/drivers/net/hermes.o
does exist?

Mine is located in:
 /lib/modules/2.4.12/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hermes.o

Are you sure that the same configuration and compiler
was used for the kernel and for the module?

"So I copied the files hermes.o, orinoco.o and orinoco_cs.o from 2.4.2"

obviously not - this is a NO NO, recompile the kernel please...

(It detects and tries to load the module but fails to
 load it)

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson