Lost my working Windows 98 when adding another computer...

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Wed Dec 19 10:34:01 EST 2001

Hi,

A strange problem occurred the other day.

I have had a 802.11b PrismII wireless lan working for quite some time.
But, about a week ago I installed another Laptop (my neighbors)

At first we did not get the new one to work.
But after a card switch - both worked with the GW in Windows!

Router/Firewall/Gateway, now running Linux 2.4.17rc1 has a
  GigaFast Wireless Engine 720-AEX
	HWaddr 00:90:47:00:05:60
	Cell: 02:23:58:C5:05:60
	port3: 0
	ibssport: 0
	preamble: Not supported (in Linux)
My main computer has a
  PheeNet (WL-0011)
	HWaddr 00:02:72:00:0F:13
	 Cell: 02:23:58:C5:05:60
	port3: 0
	ibssport: 0
	preamble: Not supported (in Linux)

All has the same SSID, same hex key entered on first key.

The PheeNet works when running Linux. But when using Windows Me
it indicates great signal, Associated-02:23:BC:C0:01:13 (middle varies,
other examples:
  02:23:64:C4:05:60
  02:23:7D:9B:05:60)
Throughput on Rx: 396-868

The only thing I have done to end up with a non working system is
the switch of cards - no config changes...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå