wvlan_cs/orinoco_cs & linksys wap11 AP

kiss the sun and walk on air peter.royal at pobox.com
Fri Dec 14 10:23:37 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:54:47AM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > Yes, that is what I do to change the ESSID, which works. I am unable
> > to set the frequency/channel with that, however. I get:
> >
> > leela:/home/osi# iwconfig eth0 channel 8
> > SIOCSIWFREQ: Operation not supported
>
> Managed mode does not allow you to edit the frequency. The frequency is
> assigned (decided?) by the AP automatically.

ok, makes sense.

> > My procedure is currently, move to alternate location, power up, cycle
> > AP power, change scheme with cardctl. and it works. The cycle AP power
> > step is the one that needs to go :)
>
> Does cycling the pcmcia card work? As in pulling it out and putting it in
> again, resetting all the drivers? Do you actually shutdown or is it a laptop
> in sleep mode?

The wireless card is built into my laptop, i can't physically remove
it (well, without unscrewing the botton with some special
screwdriver). There is a switch on the front that toggles some light
that shuts off the antenna power. Doing a cardctl eject/insert does
not help.

I actually shut down. Sleep doesn't work and suspend has other issues
at the moment :)
-pete

--
(peter.royal|osi)@pobox.com - http://pobox.com/~osi