Suggestions : Wireless Modem Access Point

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed Dec 12 08:23:06 EST 2001

> Heres my scenario : -
> I am going to buy some wireless LAN cards soon for my small
> flat (Linux and
> Win98 desktop PCs + laptop in the future) and I would like to
> buy a modem
> access point. I would like a small box that I can sit by my
> phone socket and
> then access the internet from any PC in the flat.

A Linux box configured for dial on demand will offer all you need and works
quite well. I uses a dial on demand router for a number of years, before
upgrading to cable (and use another Linux box for that).  My network is
wired, but the principles are the same for a wireless network.

> network protocols (IRC, ICQ, FTP etc as well as just HTTP),

This is where you can't go past the Linux solution - it can be made to
masquerade a mind boggling array of protocols (Care to netmeetng someone
from yout wireless notebook? :) ).

> documentation/reviews that say how these devices are
> configured in terms of
> auto dialling, hang-up timeouts etc etc.

Look at diald for Linux, it's highly configurable in this regard.

> I was also worried about security of not allowing my
> neighbours to use my
> phone line for the internet!  In practice what is the likely
> hood of this. I

Run WEP and make sure you change your network ID from the card default.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses