Strange Lucent stuff

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Dec 9 22:52:14 EST 2001

Got hold of some Orinoco wireless cards and put one in a windows laptop and
one in my linux laptop. Now I know that those cards support ad-hoc mode
because linux can do it. Also, the included documentation for Mac and MS-DOS
explicitly say it. If somebody knows how to make windows go ad-hoc, let me
know. (A google search seems to indicate editing the registry is sufficient,
is that correct? No program?).

Anyway, we set the windows machine to peer-to-peer mode, which sounds like
it should be ad-hoc, but it's not. I'm not sure how it worked but we could
ping eachother, even though we were both in *managed* mode and there was no
access point in the area. Running iwconfig on my laptop showed that it
thought the windows laptop was the access point. Anyone know how this works?
(A google search shows other people seeing this, but no explanation...)

Finally, in windows the orinoco card comes with some tools, including one
that can do a link. Amazingly the link test works. My laptop showed up and
it could get signal level values for it and everything. But *only* if it's
*not* in promiscuous mode (tcpdump). Start tcpdump, the test stops working,
stop tcpdump, the test starts working again. Wierd huh?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/