pcmcia /orinoco - compiling (VALID FOR SuSE ONLY!)

Daniel Hertrich daniel.hertrich at gmx.de
Tue Aug 28 15:15:41 EST 2001

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:08:00 +0200, "Andrew Smart" <Andrew.Smart at smart-knowhow.de> wrote:

> I stepped up from the 2.2 - kernel to the 2.4.4-4GB kernel (SuSe 7.2)
> because I wanted the orinoco-drivers for my WLAN cards (orinoco-OEMs). I
> tried to compile it and got in problems (headers not found), I said, ok,
> maybe its the pcmcia-package then I downloaded the latest version for pcmcia
> (3.1.28) and tried to compile it and it didn't work (I got a error message
> that I shouldn't include header files from the kernel directly but throu a
> symbolic link, I did it, now I get compiler errors that some asm/rw*.h -
> files are not found).

I also run into similar problems compiling vanilla pcmcia packages
under SuSE 7.2 (Kernel 2.4.7 now).

SuSE now offers new (SuSE-patched) PCMCIA pacgages, as source RPMs and
as compiled modules.

I did the following:

stopped pcmcia
rcpcmcia stop

disabled PCMCIA in the kernel, compiled a new one, deleted the modules
directory before doing a make modules_install
(Mr. Zoz said that it isn't necessary anymore to disable kernel*pcmcia,
you can now have both in parallel,
but I can't say for sure if my next steps
would also have worked if internal pcmcia had been enabled)

downloaded
frp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/zoz/pcmcia/experimental/pcmcia-3.1.28-6.src.rpm

(URL could be slightly wrong, In don't remember exactly)

then:

rpm -Uhv pcmcia-3.1.28-6.src.rpm
(this creates new files in /usr/src/packages/SPEC, and .../SOURCE)

rpm -ba /usr/src/packages/SPECS/pcmcia.spec
(this one cconfigures and compiles the pcmcia package from all the
installed tar.gzs)

Now the compiled modules are in
/var/tmp/pcmcia-root/lib/modules/<kernelversion>/pcmcia-external/*

copy them to /lib/modules/<kernelversion>/pcmcia
cp -rv /var/tmp/...../pcmcia-external/* /lib/modules/.../pcmcia

run a
depmod -a

and start pcmcia anew
rcpcmcia start

Maybe your /etc/pcmcia/config and *.conf files have to be ajdusted now
(don'T know if the above rpm call overwrites the old ones, maybe make a
backup before.)

Hope this helps
daniel

P.S.: If you want to recompile the modules (after a modification of a
source file for example), do that by going to
cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD/pcmcia-cs-3.1.28

modify the source files here (e.g. orinoco_cs is in clients/)

and do a

make clean
make all
make install

Then the new modules are in /var/tmp/pcmcia-root again as described above.

--
http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/contact