netgear cards?

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Aug 28 12:13:47 EST 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 12:53:52AM +0200, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Steven Hanley wrote:
>
> > Earlier on this list someone noticed netgear 802.11b netgear equipment being
> > sold at harveynorman for somewhat inflated prices. I notice Cougar now has
> > that same hardware available for a much better price.
> >
> > However I am unable to find mention on this list or on
> > http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux of netgear. I am
> > wondering if anyone knows if this stuff works in linux? Is it something nice
> > like simply a rebadged Cisco Aironet card or Lucent Orinoco card?
>
> Hi,
>
> sorry for that late answer but by fluke it happened that I got a
> NETGEAR MA401 in my hands this evening.
>
> >From what I got in logging
>
> Aug 27 22:01:18 accu cardmgr[3599]: initializing socket 1
> Aug 27 22:01:18 accu cardmgr[3599]: unsupported card in socket 1
> Aug 27 22:01:18 accu cardmgr[3599]:   product info: "NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC", "Card", "Version 01.00", ""
> Aug 27 22:01:18 accu cardmgr[3599]:   manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002 function: 6 (network)
>
> I just added following to /etc/pcmcia/config
>
> card "NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC"
>   manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
>   bind "orinoco_cs"
>
> and everything was fine. Performance was not the best but I couldn't
> really test this there. iwconfig reported 11Mbit/s.

Looks like yet another Prism II based card, with Intersil firmware.
Could you send the output of "dmesg" immediately after inserting the
card - that will give me some more information about it.

--
David Gibson			| Microsoft: Making the easy things hard
david at gibson.dropbear.id.au	| and the hard things buggy