iwconfig core dumped ?

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Tue Aug 28 07:19:17 EST 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:14:46PM +0200, Paul Wis?n wrote:
> > Paul Wisén wrote :
> > >
> > > and "Link quality 0/92" but it works fine ???
> >
> > 	If you want valid number in *ad-hoc* mode, please read the
> > driver release notes. It's normal for the driver to report that in
> > this case.
>
> I wonder why and if there's anything i could do about it.
> So it's not wrong kernel headers then, or wrong version of wireless
> extensions ?
> I'm trying to use it to do a point to point jump between two boxes.
> The distance is about 7 km so there would be a good thing if I could monitor
> the link quality. Is there any better mode to do it with ? Any suggestions ?

	Wireless Extensions can do that, no problem.

> > > done that.. Im using the latest driver from lucent now.. does
> > it really need
> > > fixing ?
> >
> > 	Never used that driver, so I don't know.
>
> well I've been spending weeks with a wvlan_cs driver who restarts every 10th
> seconds under load, and a orinoco_cs who I can't get to work at all. David
> Gibson is working with it I think. The thought to use the standard driver
> from lucent never occurd to me until today and, for some reason, that works
> . The driver has been running without problems in 6 hours now ! We'll see if
> it lasts ower the night..

	If it works for you, then it's fine. If I remember, the latest
driver from Lucent start to have pretty decent support for Wireless
Extensions.

> It's just the link quality problem left now, and that, i'm gonna read about
> in the driver release notes.. :]

	Hum, I guess it's probably not mentionned in the Lucent
release notes. Try that :
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wavelan-IEEE.html

	Regards,