iwconfig core dumped ?

Paul Wisén paul at busnet.se
Tue Aug 28 01:50:13 EST 2001

hi, again.. :)

stuff seems to work here now but iconfig gives me something strange..

[root at vonanka wireless_tools.21]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      ORiNOCO  ESSID:"banverket"  Nickname:"vonanka.alvkarleby.net"
          Channel:11  Sensitivity:1/3  Mode:Ad-Hoc
          RTS thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link quality:0/92  Signal level:-102 dBm  Noise level:-102 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:5

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

------

"Core dumped" ? why ?
and "Link quality 0/92" but it works fine ???

I do also get:

[root at vonanka wireless_tools.21]# make all
gcc -O2 -Wall -DGLIBC22_HEADERS  -c iwconfig.c
In file included from iwconfig.c:13:
iwcommon.h:214:2: warning: #warning "Wireless Extension v11
recommended...You may update your kernel and/or system headers to get the
new features..."

Ok, on
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html#latest you
can read:

	iwconfig crashes after displaying valid info...
	Do cp /usr/src/linux/include/linux/wireless.h /usr/include/linux
	Recompile and reinstall the wireless tools

done that... still no change..

	iwconfig complain that the card/device uses a different version of Wireless
Extensions
	Do cp /usr/src/linux/include/linux/wireless.h /usr/include/linux
	Recompile and reinstall the wireless tools
	If you still have this message after this, your driver need fixing...

done that.. Im using the latest driver from lucent now.. does it really need
fixing ?

	When compiling the Wireless Tools, it recommends to update my kernel and/or
system 	headers
	If you don't have any of behaviours decribed in the two questions above
(crash/message 	at runtime), you are fine... Don't worry...
	If you are on the adventurous side, you may update the kernel and the
system header 	with the copy in the Wireless Extension package. However,
some drivers may not cope 	with that...

..

where do I find the latest kernel headers if the one's in kernel 2.4.7 or
redhat 7.1 doesn't work ?

still can't see what to do. Should I try some new kernel headers or ??

I have kernel 2.4.7
dual p3 400
redhat 7.1
pcmcia_cs 3.1.28
dual lucent orinoco silver pcmcia cards with firmware 7.52
dual pci-pcmcia adapters

anybody ?

:)

/ Paul