Testing release of USB wireless firmware downloader

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 17 21:04:57 EST 2001

As some of you may know, Bas Vermeulen and I are working on a driver for the
AT76C503A MAC, used by the D-Link DWL-120 and some other USB 802.11 adapters.
We have a test release of the (user space) firmware downloader available, for
those that are interested in seeing how it is going. I have tested it on the
DWL-120, but not on any other device. I think it should work on other devices
based on the same MAC.

The part that is important in the descriptor is the last line, with the
Interface class of 0xfe and the Subclass of 0x01, which is the DFU
specification:
T:  Bus=01 Lev=03 Prnt=08 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 13 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=fe(app. ) Sub=01 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=03eb ProdID=7603 Rev= 1.00
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=fe(app. ) Sub=01 Prot=00 Driver=(none)

If you have such a device, and willing to do some testing, please download the
driver from CVS (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=27123 provides
directions on how to download).

You will also need to have libusb (http://libusb.sourceforge.net) installed,
and the rom images which you can trivially extract from the windows drivers -
a link is given in the README.

I would appreciate anyone who tries this to let me know, whether it worked or
not, especially which devices you tried it with, and whether it seems to run
to completion.

Please note that the kernel space driver isn't anything like completed yet,
and the user space loader is just a precusor to a real driver. We will get
there eventually :-)

Brad