Debugging a helical antenna installation

Alan Wilkie alan at objcomp.com.au
Mon Aug 6 08:47:31 EST 2001

> What kind of cable is it? When we were doing this we made sure there was a
> maximum of 2m of cable at each end and that was pretty expensive cable.
> We're dealing with 2.4GHz here and you'd be suprised at the kind of cable
> losses you can get.

I'm not sure exactly what grade the cable is, all I know is that it's 50
ohm coax.  I expected that there would be a reasonable amount of
attenuation in the cabling, but the antennae should be about 14dBi gain
and I thought there would be loads of signal to play with over the short
distance we're trying to span.

> With those full length ISA cards we had to chop the cable to get the
> connector off and we had minor difficulties with the joints, but other than
> that it seemed to work OK. From what I remember it's cable losses and
> impedance that are your major issues.

Thanks for that, we'll give it a try with shorter cables and try a
different method of connecting the cables to the wireless cards.

Alan