Effect of CVE-2022-38023 on SMB

anurag jha anurag199 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 08:33:40 UTC 2023

Hi,

We use RPC over SMB to communicate with Windows server and do
administrative changes to MS DNS, DHCP, ADSITES.

I would want to know if the connections will be blocked once

CVE-2022-38023
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5021130-how-to-manage-the-netlogon-protocol-changes-related-to-cve-2022-38023-46ea3067-3989-4d40-963c-680fd9e8ee25>
comes
into effect from June 2023.

*"Important Starting June 2023, Enforcement mode will be enabled on all
Windows domain controllers and will block vulnerable connections from
non-compliant devices.  At that time, you will not be able to disable the
update, but may move back to the Compatibility mode setting. Compatibility
mode will be removed in July 2023, as outlined in the Timing of updates to
address Netlogon vulnerability CVE-2022-38023
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5021130-how-to-manage-the-netlogon-protocol-changes-related-to-cve-2022-38023-46ea3067-3989-4d40-963c-680fd9e8ee25#timing5021130>
section."*

Thanks,

Anurag