Reg. CIFS and Smbclient
shreedharn at ami.com
Wed May 20 17:30:11 GMT 2009
I understand smbclient is an FTP like client to access Samba/CIFS service. I would like to have only SMBClient and the basic dependency to build just the client that access Windows share ? As I browsed through the net I got different information and I stumbled many questions. I have summarized below -
And it would be a great help if I get clarified on these questions.
1. For SMBClient to work - Do I need any SAMBA modules/libraries for this from samba.org ? and my best guess is
Samba-Common - Is this module dependent on any other linux modules ?
Is there a separate source tarball for this module ? Or where do i locate the source for this module in Samba source tree?
(The mirrors listed in this link is not working - http://www.icewalkers.com/rpm/samba-common/fedora-core-6/download/samba-common-3173.html)
2. Is it possible for me to build SMBClient that can access only CIFS Share ?
3. To access the CIFS. should I need kernel module CIFS. Does sambaclient work with CIFS module part of the UNIX kernel ? Should I also need smbs kernel module ?
4. What are the libraries/dependency for SMBClient. And my understanding so far
- libc (Standard C library and Standard Math library)
- libcrypt (for encryption/decryption)
- libldap (Open Ldap)
- Perl interpretter (why this ??)
- Anything missing ??
5. At the end of the day, how does the samba module makes a network connection. What are the native lnux networking modules(so/lib) that Sambacommon is dependent on to make the TCP/IP connections ??
-------------- next part --------------
HTML attachment scrubbed and removed
More information about the smb-clients