Reg. CIFS and Smbclient

Shreedhar Natarajan shreedharn at ami.com
Wed May 20 17:30:11 GMT 2009

Hello,

I understand smbclient is an FTP like client to access Samba/CIFS service.  I would like to have only SMBClient  and the basic dependency to build just the client that access Windows share ? As I browsed through the net I got different information and I stumbled many questions. I have summarized below -

And it would be a great help if I get clarified on these questions.

1.  For SMBClient to work - Do I need any SAMBA modules/libraries for this from samba.org ? and my best guess is
	Samba-Common - Is this module dependent on any other linux modules ?
            Is there a separate source tarball for this module ? Or where do i locate the source for this module  in Samba source tree?
(The mirrors listed in this link is not working  - http://www.icewalkers.com/rpm/samba-common/fedora-core-6/download/samba-common-3173.html)
2.  Is it possible for me to build SMBClient that can access only CIFS Share ?
3.  To access the CIFS. should I need kernel module CIFS. Does sambaclient work with CIFS module part of the UNIX kernel ? Should I also need smbs kernel module ?
4. What are the libraries/dependency for SMBClient. And my understanding so far
	- libc (Standard C library and Standard Math library)
            - libcrypt (for encryption/decryption)
           -  libldap (Open Ldap)
           - Perl interpretter (why this ??)
           - Anything missing ??
5. At the end of the day, how does the samba module makes a network connection.    What are the native lnux networking modules(so/lib) that Sambacommon is dependent on to make the TCP/IP connections ??

Thank you

Best regards
Shree